Sunday 20 March 2011

First Impressions-GSP vs Shields

Next to hockey my favorite sport is MMA or Mixed Martial Arts. My favorite fighter Georges St.Pierre is ranked #1 pound for pound greatest fighter in the world, and it so happens is Canadian. His next fight will be in April in Toronto for the welterweight UFC belt. He is fighting an American fighter who hasn't lost a fight in 14 fights which is a major accomplishment in the sport. Last night when I was watching an UFC event at a bar, and this promo for the GSP vs Shields fight aired for the first time. And wow did the crowd in the bar get excited. The promo was extremely well done, and it did what it was set out to do and that get people excited for this fight. After my year at Foundation I am currently planning on going into Film Production or Entertainment Business Management. And one of the things that I am interested in as a career path, would be advertising for the film and TV industry. If I were to go into EBM I think I would find many of my passions there. That is why a promo for my favorite sport, that involves the TV industry and advertising really gets me excited, thus me talking about it in my blog.

The use of music is probably the one major key that makes this promo work so effectively. It starts with a low beat that starts out slow. At the same time establishing shots appear setting up the mood and introducing the main antagonist that is Jake Shields. As the beat increase the first lyric starts which is "are you ready" then followed by "lets go!" basically letting the viewer ahead of time know that its about to get a little bit more serious. The music then gets louder and the footage of Shields in his dressing room come on. This is used to introduce Shields the fighter to the non hardcore MMA fans. The UFC wants to make you believe that Shields is the hardest opponent for GSP to date. As a business they want you to believe this fight can go either way so you better tune in to see who wins. And this promo does exactly that, it shows all of his medals hes won all the established fighters hes beaten. Then it cuts to GSP the current champ, and to make the audience feel that this is a fair match they show all of GSP's best highlights of his career. Its the perfect formula for an interesting advertisement.

No comments:

Post a Comment